This upcoming weekend we are going camping up the coast of California at a beautiful beach in Ventura and celebrating Christmas a little early with Gav’s family. Camping is something Gavin really enjoys, and since that was the theme for most of his Christmas gifts last year, we figured we’d put them to good use again this Winter.
Even though we usually only go camping for a couple of days at a time, last year I found it difficult figuring out what healthy food to bring and how to cook it. After testing the waters out last year, I’ve started to get the hang of it and found some tricks that work for us, but I thought to myself, if any of my friends or followers enjoy camping, they might have the same issue and thought I would share! If you’re new to camping or just want some fresh food options for your next trip, keep reading for some healthy food ideas when camping!
- fresh fruit – no prep time at all, just pop into your ice chest and go. We love berries or apples.
- overnight oats in a jar – easy to prep ahead of time and stay good for a couple of days. Here are 7 different recipes.
- breakfast burritos – (Gav’s favorite!) Just bring tortillas, black beans, eggs & any other toppings you want and cook the eggs & black beans all in one cast iron pot over the campfire. Once they’re done cooking, put into a tortilla and add your toppings. We also always make enough for two days so we can just re-heat the leftovers. We use this pot and this tri-pod.
- pre-made salads – I’m a big Trader Joe’s fan and absolutely love their pre-made salads. They’re so easy for a quick & healthy meal. When camping, I just eat them straight out of the bag so I don’t dirty any dishes, but paper bowls work just as good haha.
- veggie burgers (or regular burgers!) – so easy to heat over our mini stove. Just bring buns and any other toppings you want! Takes about 10-15 minutes. My favorite veggie burgers are the Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers
- veggie wraps – I like to buy the pre-cut veggies from Trader Joe’s and heat them in a pot over the stove or the campfire and add them to some of the tortillas we bring for breakfast. Trader Joe’s also has pre-cooked chicken that you can throw in if you eat meat.
- salmon & grilled veggie foil wraps – super easy, found a bunch of these recipes here.
- Soup! – Trader Joe’s has some really delicious soups that just have to be re-heated. I like the roasted red pepper one and I add Trader Joe’s pre-cooked lentils, a can of coconut cream & the frozen bag of chimichurri rice. SO GOOD.
- Veggie bowls – I pre-cook brown rice & black beans and bring with me in a Tupperware. Super easy to re-heat and I top with avocado, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, a squeeze of lime & Trader Joe’s Green Goddess dressing. Super easy.
- veggies and dip
- fruit salad
- plantain chips with guacamole
I hope this post helps you and if you have any quick, healthy & easy camping meals of your own, please share them with me in the comments below! I’m always looking to add new ones.