While you guys already know how addicted to carbs I am, bagels are a whole notha’ story. I remember back in high school when I would show up 30 minutes late for my first class of the day trying to hide the bagel that I got from one of my favorite places that ultimately caused my tardiness. I have a special love for bagels and not to toot my own horn, but I would consider myself to be somewhat of a bagel connoisseur. I was a bit skeptical when I came across this recipe on Skinny Taste because I’ve always been told that when something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Not only is this bagel recipe super easy to make with only 5 simple ingredients, but it’s also under 200 calories and can be made dairy & gluten free! They take about 5 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake, so in 30 minutes, you can have soft, fluffy, delicious bagels right at your fingertips! Honestly what more could you want on a beautiful Summer morning?
If you’ve been reading my blog for some time now, you’ll know that I am all about easy recipes that don’t require a whole lot of work. I’m a busy girl and don’t have the time, patience, or will-power to slave over any meal. This recipe is so perfect for me, because I’ve really got it down to a science now. Wake up, make coffee, while coffee is brewing, prep bagels, sip coffee, put bagels in oven, do morning skin care routine and enjoy more coffee on the balcony with Gav. Once I’m ready for another cup, the bagels are ready. How could your day not be great when it starts out like this? Trick question, it can’t.
Easy Bagel Recipe
This easy homemade bagel recipe is made from scratch with just four (5) ingredients – flour, dairy-free Greek yogurt, egg white, baking powder and salt! No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer.
- 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all purpose flour (You can use whole wheat or gluten-free mix*)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 cup dairy-free Greek yogurt (I buy the Kite Hill blue label plain yogurt from Whole Foods – you can also use regular non-fat Greek Yogurt)
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- Optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joes, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes, cream cheese (my favorite one is Kite Hill jalapeno cream cheese)
- Preheat oven to 375F (400F if using GF mix). Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes (20 minutes if using GF mix). Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
*You can make this entire recipe GF/DF/Vegan by using GF flour, DF yogurt/cream cheese, & Vegan by using water or vegan egg replacement instead of egg) If using gluten free flour, the bagels will need to bake about 10 minutes longer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy!