May Gray and June Gloom have been in full effect in LA recently, and with this cold weather, all I really want for dinner lately is my yummy (and healthy!) veggie soup. My favorite part about this soup is that it is just so easy to make and requires very little babysitting while its all coming together.
This is the perfect dinner for a night where you have a lot going on, such as laundry or grocery shopping. Because of it’s low maintenance, I’ve found that I’m able to fold 2 loads of laundry while it cooks and have both laundry and dinner done by the time Gav gets home! We both love this recipe so much and since it serves 4, we’re able to keep half of it for leftovers the next day.
The flavors in this soup are so fresh, a little spicy, lemon-y and just all around delicious! It truly is a soup that can be eaten year round! I hope you enjoy!
- 2 boxes of organic vegetable broth
- 1 bunch of organic dinosaur kale (I use this kale because it’s thicker and keeps it’s crunch even when heated)
- 2 organic potatoes, diced
- 3 organic carrots, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- organic cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 avocado to garnish
- Add broth to large pan and turn stove on medium heat
- Add onion, potato, carrot & garlic and let boil.
- Once boiling, add turmeric, sea salt, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice.
- Test the potatoes for softness. Once soft, add the kale and turn stove on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, serve and add avocado and cilantro on top.