With the fresh produce I picked up at the Farmer’s Market, I decided to make a light and refreshing “End of Summer salad. I usually get home late from work, so easy dinners are my thing. This salad was perfect and split between two people – we were both left feeling full and satisfied.
I am crazy about Swiss chard and I always wonder why it’s not a more popular leafy green. Chard tastes great whether you sauté it, use it in a salad, or mix it into your pasta dish. Swiss chard is also a nutrient dense powerhouse and an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as magnesium, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber. I enjoy mixing chard with kale because they both add so much flavor and nutrition to a salad like this. I also included nutritional yeast to give it that “cheesy” flavor as well as adding a little vegan source of B12.
We ate this salad as an entree, but you can also make it as a side dish for a family party or get-together. The creamy avocado mixed with the crunchy tomatoes and pine nuts add a delicious combination of colors and textures. You can always add chicken to this recipe if you have a carnivore in your family as well.This salad is full of fiber, protein, vitamins and good fats and will leave you feeling full without the guilt. I hope you enjoy and if you try this at home, let me know what you think!
- 1 bunch of kale – washed and de-stemmed
- 1 bunch rainbow chard – washed and de-stemmed
- 1 avocado – pitted and cut into cubes
- grape tomatoes (I used about 6-7)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon – juiced
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare the card and kale by washing thoroughly and de-stemming the leaves. Pat dry when finished and add to your mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado, tomato, and pine nuts to the bowl and mix.
- Drizzle your olive oil over the mix and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prep Time: 15-20 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.