Gnocchi has to be one of my favorite Italian dishes and I have to get it every time I see it on the menu. I’ve never made it at home before, so when I saw this in the store I was absolutely thrilled. There are plenty of certified vegan brands, however, the ingredients for gnocchi are mainly potato and wheat flour, so most of them should be vegan anyways.
Since I am super busy during the week, I try to condense dinner preparation into a 30 minute (or less) window. This only took me about 15 minutes to make, so big win in my book. I buy the pre-made gnocchi which saves loads of time, but if you can make your own I am slightly jealous of you and you should do that! With the pre-made gnocchi, it takes about 5-10 minutes to wait for the water to boil, and 2-3 minutes to cook.
And then there’s my homemade pesto. This stuff is amazing and takes 5 minutes to make. I prepare this while I am waiting for the water to boil. I put my homemade pesto on gnocchi, all types of pasta, rice, zoodles, pizza, veggies…basically everything. It also makes a fantastic dip! My recipe only calls for 6 ingredients and all you do is throw them into a blender for about a minute.
I love this simple dinner and I hope you do too. Leave your comments below to let me know if you’ve tried it or how you’ve done it differently!
- pre-packaged gnocchi
- heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cups of fresh organic basil
- 1/2 cup fresh organic cilantro
- 1 organic lemon
- 1/2 organic jalapeno
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (or less to taste)
- basil leaves to garnish
- red chili flakes (optional)
- In a cooking pot, boil 3 cups of water
- Chop your jalapeno into 1/2 inch thick circles, and add them to the blender along with the basil, cilantro, juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, and salt. Pulse on high for about 3o seconds. If you’d like it creamier, you can keep blending until its the consistency that you like.
- Once the water is boiling, add your gnocchi. Let gnocchi cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to float. Once floating, drain and rinse.
- Add pesto to the gnocchi and top with tomatoes, basil leaves, and red chili flakes.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 5 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.