I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys because it’s one of my all time favorites! I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I absolutely crave spicy food. Yellow curry has to be one of my go-to dishes because I always seem to be in the mood for it. This is the perfect week night meal which is great for me because I get home later in the evening and the thought of cooking dinner sends chills up my spine. This meal takes about a total of 45 minutes and is so so delicious.
Not only is this an efficient (& tasty) dinner perfect for a busy week night, but it is also made with organic ingredients, dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian & vegan so no animals were harmed in the making! I really hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I do, and as always, please feel free to leave comments or questions below!
Note: A lot of the time, (almost always) I measure the spices by taste. I tend to like my dishes a little salty, so I add more salt than my recipe calls for. That is the great part about cooking though, is that you get to make it your own!
*** Warning: This recipe is spicy. If you want to decrease the heat, you can omit the jalapeno and include less cayenne pepper.
- 1/2 pound organic white or brown rice (I use whichever rice I have in my cabinet at the time & I get the organic kind from Trader Joes)
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1 large potato, chopped in small squares
- 1 large carrot
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 cup of cilantro to garnish
- Sriracha to garnish (optional)
- In a cooking pot, mix the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric powder, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir until all ingredients are completely mixed together. Cover and let sit on low heat.
- Prepare your rice. Like I said above, I get the organic white or brown rice from Trader Joes, but any rice will work. Cook rice according to instructions.
- Chop your potato, carrot, bell peppers, and jalapenos and add them to a frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. I cook these until the potatoes are soft. Add the chickpeas towards the end, just to heat them up.
- Once your rice is done, combine with the curry mixture and add in the veggies (sometimes I wait and add the mixture on top of the rice, but it’s up to you!). Continue to stir on low heat until ingredients are completely mixed.
- Let cool and serve. Add cilantro & Sriracha on top to garnish.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 30 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.